The Ponte Colombo Passenger Terminal is in the heart of the ferry area and was restructured
from a pre-existing building that dates from 1920.
The building, with its four adjacent landing stages, is principally destined for the traffic
with the North African countries, but it can also be used for other ferry routes and by cruise ships.
The terminal consists of several floors with different uses, covering a total surface area of 6,000 square metres
and it is linked, by a promenade, to the nearby Calata Chiappella Terminal.
The basement floor provides garage space for passenger vehicles in the process of embarkation on cruise ships
and ferry terminals, while on the ground floor there are warehouses for companies working in the harbour area
or providing services to the harbour.
On the first floor, there is the passenger hall covering a surface area of about 2,500 square metres.
Inside this area are the ticketing services linked by escalators, the information desks, the toilet facilities,
large waiting room areas for passengers and the flow of tourist traffic and the handling of baggage,
refreshment facilities and areas for customs and police controls.
From the passenger atrium, by taking the public lift, one can access a roof garden, which offers a superb view
of the Passenger Port and the Old Harbour area.
From the Terminal level there is a pedestrian link to the boarding and disembarkation area which,
on the eastern side, runs parallel to the new Ponte Colombo quay, suitably redesigned to facilitate the berthing
of the latest generation of ships.
From the embarkation terrace it is possible to board the ships directly by means of an escalator.
The second floor of the building is assigned to office space.